Cold Weather Plumbing Tips
As temperature plummets and parts of the country enter a deep freeze, there are many plumbing problems that can occur and cause severe damage to your home or commercial space. Plumbing emergencies are always tragic and can create devastating damages to any building structure. However, there are several steps that you, the homeowner, can take to avoid a disaster from occurring due to the freezing cold:
1. Keep your thermostat between 75o – 80o. Keeping warm air circulating will prevent water pipes from freezing and causing major water leaks. I understand that this tempature setting seems to be high, however understanding that your thermastat is located in one area of your house the other areas of your house are at other tempatures. We have seen pipes up to 10+ feet in a house burst. It does and can happen, so it is best to be on the safe side.
2. Let water trickle from your faucets during night time. This will prevent water from freezing as moving water does not freeze. Keep the trickle to a minimum. Also keep sink cabinet doors open to allow the heat to fill into the cabinets.
3. Watch for water pressure. A restricted water flow is a sign of frozen pipes. If you notice this, call a us at 630-453-3769 ASAP and we will talk you through the water meter shut off process if you do not know how to shut your water off. Also it is a good to teach everyone in the house to shut the water main down.
4. Make sure your garden hose is disconnected before the deep freeze sets in. If left connected, ice can form and exert pressure on water lines inside the home causing pipes to burst and cause severe water damage. Most of the time you will not even know about this damage to the water line until the first time you turn on the hose.
5. Check your water drainage from your sump pump to make sure snow is not blocking it. If there is snow blocking the drainage, water could back up and freeze in the discharge pipe causing your pump to burn out. It could also set off your battery back up system. If you have a basement and do not have a battery back up system I advise you to get one. We provide those services, if needed.
6. Check for cold air drafts, especially in basements, crawl spaces, attics, garages, and under kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Cold air can cause freezing. Make sure water pipes are insulated in such spaces and try to insulate the area to stop the draft.
Taking these precautions will prepare your home for the extreme cold temperature and minimize plumbing damages.
About Your Plumbing Experts - JW Construction and Design is a licensed Naperville plumbing company that is an expert at assembling any type of plumbing structure needed for your project. Our plumbing services include:
· Emergency Plumbing services
· Residential and commercial plumbing
· Installation of new faucets, sinks, shower valves, water piping, gas lines, and water lines.
· New drain location, and
· Complete repiping.
CALL US AT 630-453-3769 FOR ANY EMERGENCY OF REMODELING PLUMBING NEED!!
& Design Services